Saturday, April 16, 2011

No. 18

Hai.

I had my painting critique yesterday morning. It went way better than I'd expected. I forgot to do two of the projects, but I brought in a shitload of other paintings I'd done on my own time. The teacher wasn't pissed about the two projects not having been done. She said a lot of nice things, really specific things that I was surprised to hear from her. She liked the ones I thought she was going to hate, like the naked conehead. She also seemed to read into a lot of the paintings I did on my own time, either way more than I thought she would, or way more than I realized I'd put into them. It was really weird. I'm always under the impression that no one's really getting what I'm talking about in most of my paintings, but I guess sometimes a few of the messages come across.
Which is weird in itself, because I don't ever really start a painting with the intention of it being about one specific thing, or having it say something. I kind of just do and then I figure out what I meant later. I don't know if that's right, or normal. But whatever, it gets done, and I guess that's the important part.

I feel really introspective and lame right now, but I'm getting a cold again and I just had some Advil Cold and Sinus or something and I feel all weird. I feel like my sentences aren't making sense but we're blasting music here and also there's a very deep conversation happening behind me between the guy getting tattooed and one of my bosses. I think it's leaking into this post, sorry.

I'm getting tattooed again on Tuesday. Really stoked. Joel's doing it. Big ol gramophone on my arm. It's going to kind of bleed into my half sleeve that Julian did and the Epilogue bird on my wrist.
Then I'm getting a big ol birdy guy on my other arm that Julian's gonna do. I'm excited about that one a lot, because it really means a lot to me and I've been wanting to get something done with this theme for a while. Really hope my mum and dad like it.

Okay it's too rainy and grey and mopey outside and I sound like a big luggish turd [dunno].

OH MAN. Sorry. Someone just pocket dialed the shop and I answered and I just heard a really cute and grossly sweet goodbye between a couple. Aw.

Okay, I'm going to watch Tommy Wiseau be awesome tonight. All be jealous.
This wasn't really art-related, sorry. I'm just procrastinating.
Gonna go draw Kathy Roussel a bird.

Hope everyone's well. x

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your out-of-the-box painting.. it was beautiful! Also I tend to be the same way about painting... wherein I don't usually have a set idea in the beginning but I start to get what it means halfway through, or my meaning just changed halfway through, or whatevs.

    ReplyDelete